Why Sri Lankan Organic Products?
Among the producer countries, Sri Lanka maintains a reputation in organic crop production and exports different varieties of organic products adhering to international standards. For over a decade, Sri Lanka had exported a range of organically certified products. The country is considered the pioneer in the Asian region, to introduce organically certified tea and cinnamon to the world market.
The total area under organic agriculture in Sri Lanka in 2008 was established at 19,191ha(0.81% of total cultivated lands) and this has further increased to 31585ha (1.33% of total cultivated lands) in 2010. Statistics also highlight the significant increase in organic production from 4216Mt in 2007 to 41,128.3Mt in 2010 (IFOAM & FIBL statistics).
Strengths & Opportunities
- Indigenous knowledge/ management practices of our farmers to contribute to the sustainable agriculture
- Compliance with the green concept with a minimal impact to the environment
- Diverse climatic conditions within the country that enabling to cultivate a range of organic products from tropical to temperate.
- Reputation built up as a supplier of quality products.
- Available supply of local resources to enhance production
- Flexible operation (out-grower schemes, short-term employment labour)
- Skilled labour
- Compliance with the International Standards
- Increasing global demand
- Expanding new markets
- Value added organic products for export