National Programme To Develop New Exporters
The “Vistas of Prosperity and Splendor”; the Manifesto of the Government of Sri Lanka has recognized rural agriculture and industrial development as the way forward of the economy, as it accounts for enormous potential for expansion.
In the current context, the government has structured a number of Ministries and State Ministries to facilitate development of value added agriculture & industrial products and services for export promotion. It is expected to design and implement appropriate development programmes to achieve the set targets within the scope of each Ministry/State Ministry.
National Programme to Develop New Export has been conceptualized with the objective to achieve the Government Vision of agriculture, industrial & export service development in the country aligning all resources within the government & private sector.
Keeping in-line with the government’s economic vision, the Sri Lanka Export Development Board (EDB) under the auspices of the Ministry of Trade is implementing a National Programme to nurture new entrepreneurs to become exporters.
Objectives of the New Exporter Development Programme:
- Contribute to achieve national export target of USD 37 billion in 2025.
- Encourage regional based entrepreneurs to enter the export market.
- Integrate local supply chain to the global value chain of exports.
- Explore export market opportunities for new products from regional resources utilizing FTAs,GSP+ concessions etc.
- Contribute to national initiative of creating jobs while empowering the regional community
1.1 Identifying Entrepreneurs
- Awareness Seminars
- EDB Regional Offices/Chambers/Development Officers
- District Secretariats
- Regional Enterprise Forums
- Products Associations
- Awareness Seminar Participants
- EDB Organized Product / Market specific seminars / Workshops
1.2 Conducting Need Analysis
- Gathering information of Entrepreneurs through need analysis forms
- Categorization of entrepreneurs (A – Export Ready, B – Potential).
- Identifying needs, requirement & capabilities of identified companies
1.3 Maintaining Database for Export Ready & Potential Entrepreneurs
1.4 Categorization of entrepreneurs according to the most potential sectors for development
2.1 Capacity Building Programme
- Preparing Export Oriented Business Plans
- Export Procedure & Market Opportunities
- Packaging & Labelling
- Awareness on Standards in Food Value Chain, Quality Assurance & Food Safety System.
- Entrepreneurship Development
- Awareness on Benefits available for regional exporters under the GSP+ scheme
2.2 Product Development Programme
- Design development
- New product development
- Value addition
- Product quality certification
Exposure Visits – Local & International
3.1 Market Development Programmme
- Market exposure programmes (local/ international trade fairs)
- B2B meetings – Inward Missions
- E – Marketing
- Link with direct exporters
- Facilitate through “Market Access Support Programme”
- Resources implementing with EDB budget and other Stakeholders
Scheme of Registration under “National Programme To Develop New Exporters”
New Exporters Establishment Programme Process
National Programme To Develop New Exporters Application
New Exporters Establishment Programme Application