Sri Lanka Export Development Board Ecosystem
Sri Lanka Export Development Board (SLEDB) is the executive body of the Export Development Council of Ministers headed by the President of Sri Lanka, while its administration is directed by the ministry in charge of industry and investment promotion.
The Export Development Council constitute of Ministers in charge of Trade, Shipping, Industries, Fisheries, Finance, Foreign Affairs, Planning and Rural Industries and the objective of the council was to advise the SLEDB with directives for prompt execution of the exportation related decisions.
Board of Directors headed by the Chairman is responsible for the administration of the SLEDB, The Chairman also serves in the role of the Chief Executive who is assisted by the Director-General and two Additional Director Generals.
The Chairman is supported by sixteen members, including the Secretaries of Ministries represented in the Export Development Council of Ministers, the CEO of the Sri Lanka Board of Investment (BOI) and six members from private sector enterprises, representing key industry, business, commerce, finance and other relevant fields, appointed by the Minister in Charge.
The responsibilities of SLEDB have been segmented into multiple divisions, namely;
- Board Secretariate - Responsible for the overall management, control and administration of the board activities
- Business Support Unit - Implementation of markets access support programme to empower enterprises.
- Export Agriculture - Responsible for the export development and promotion of fresh, processed and value-added products including Ceylon Tea, Ceylon Spices and allied products, coconut and coconut-based products, fish and fisheries products, processed food, aquarium fish and aquatic plants, floriculture products and organic agriculture products.
- Export Services - Provides assistance and creates opportunities for the Sri Lankan exporters of professional services including ICT, BPM, and KPM services, electronics, constructions, printing, health, consultancy, and education to extend their business globally.
- Finance - Assist the board in the management of the export development fund and other financial activities.
- Human Resource Management - Responsible for general administration and personal management of SLEDB
- Industrial Products - Responsible for the development and promotion of strategically selected sectors of industries and products through systematic and integrated product development and adaption, technology development, quality improvement, training and marketing.
- Information Technology - Responsible for the implementation of an effective IT framework for SLEDB.
- Internal Audit Unit - Responsible for auditing all the financial transactions of the board and carrying out annual audit programmes approved by the Auditor General.
- Legal Unit - Responsible for resolving legal disputes, preparation of legal documents to be filled in court, and carrying out of legal activities.
- Market Development - Providing export marketing support for the development and improvement of the export performance of Sri Lankan products and services. Responsible for conducting market research, seminars, workshops, and promotional programmes.
- Policy & Strategic Planning
- Regional Development - Supports the development of export-oriented developments at national and regional levels.
- Trade Facilitation and Trade Information - Assisting exporters to achieve trade efficiency through trade facilitation, resolving exporter related issues, and providing advisory services. Responsible for exporter registration and provision of trade-related information.
Each division is headed by a director and supported by a team with related experience and expertise working together to make SLEDB the Sri Lankan Pride Across the World.